Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fashion Really Loves Shoulders

If there's anything I've learned from having barely there shoulders, it's that blazers and blouses don't like me very much. Everything looks oversized on my petite frame and I've just about given up on finding tops my size. After spending years wondering why my purse consistently slips down my arm, forcing me to pull it up every .02 seconds, I've finally come to the conclusion that I have sloped shoulders that simply cannot support anything. Thankfully, it's a common problem.

It turns out that fashion loves to highlight the shoulders. From structured blouses to 80's shoulder pads, the shoulder is major trending and I continue to sigh in frustration. From the boxy jacket at 3.1 Phillip Lim to the square blouse at Alexander Wang, structured shoulder reigned on the Spring 2014 runways, no matter the model's frame.

And that's when I realized something. Have I been looking at the glass half empty? Is the fashion industry trying to help me out rather than point out my flaws as I've assumed my entire life? Are false shoulders merely a way for me to play pretend?

I have a confession to make. I really love wide shoulders. I'm tired of pulling up my sleeves that have been falling down my arm since I was 4 years old. I'm fed up of those bras that cannot be tightened anymore to suit my shoulder needs. Some would say that shoulder pads were the worst 80's trend. And to those people I say, "you know not what you say". Shoulders are empowering. Back in the 1940's, one of the main components of a power suit was a bold shoulder. It was an assertion of a woman's authority.

So, in honour of shoulders, here are some of the best shoulders that have hit the runways.

Rock n' Roll Shoulders
Balmain Spring 2010
via asufjc.blogspot.com
Feminine Shoulders
Lanvin Spring 2013
via zaiddor.com
Quirky Shoulders
Celine Spring 2014
via superior-mag.com
Edgy Shoulders
Saint Laurent Spring 2014
via superior-mag.com

Happy Tuesday!

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment