Monday, May 19, 2014

Can Sneakers Be Replacing High Heels? NEVER

After Karl Lagerfeld had his models walk (read: skip) down steps in haute couture and white sneakers, the world stood still for a moment. Everything we thought we knew about fashion came into question. Do models actually need to wear high heels to walk the runway? Can sneakers be worn with dresses and skirts? Will the fashion world finally submit to a more comfortable footwear option?

My answer is most definitely no. I'm a strong advocate of the high heel. In fact, my life mantra is "the higher the better". I'm merely 5 feet tall and I cannot afford to live in sneakers unless I want to be mistaken for a 15 year old. I joke not. Since the age of 16, people have mistaken me for a pre-teen. Back then, I would take advantage of the movie discounts. Today, there are no real benefits to looking younger than my age other than the satisfaction I get when the bouncer cards me and finds out it's not a fake. And that's not even that satisfying.

via stylehints.net
I may love a sneaker as much as the next woman, but I will never give up heels. Sneakers are for taking long walks in the park, going for a run, or working out at the gym. Heels are for hitting the club with your girls, going for a casual drink, or simply deciding you'd like to look fabulous that day. In Montreal, this may be frowned upon, but who cares? Walk like a New Yorker, I say.

Will you let those downcast stares prevent you from looking your best? If women of the early 20th century never dared to wear a heel, where would we be today?

I challenge you to wear a shoe at a moment where your tendency is to hesitate.

Is this occasion fancy enough? Yes, it always is.
Will I look overdressed? Better to be overdressed than underdressed.
Will I be too tall? There is no such thing.
Will people stare? Yes, and so what?
Will they attract attention? Only the good kind.

Take a risk this season and wear those endless pairs of heels piled up in your closet collecting dust. They deserve to be shown off. After all, everything looks better with a pair of high heels.

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment