Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Some Things Were Only Cool When You Were 12

I'll probably wear this again. One day. Eventually. I'll just keep it.

Tell me that thought hasn't crossed your mind and I'll know you're lying. We all sift through our closet every once in a while only to discover those items we can't seem to part with. You know you haven't worn it since high school, but you worry an occasion might come up and you'll have given it up to the Salvation Army (not that that's a bad thing). If your closet is as tiny as mine, it's probably taking up space you'll need for future items or making you look like you have a lot of clothing when in fact, you don't wear most of it anymore. When trying to justify your purchases, this does not bode well. 
Remember when hoodies were cool?
via justjared
So how do you know when to let go? Here are some rules to guide you through these decisions.

1) Has it been more than 5 years since you've worn it? If the answer is yes, it's time to let go.
2) Is it torn, transparent, or stained with yellow? Get rid of it, please.
3) Is it in your "I don't wear this often drawer"? Probably best to give it away.
4) Is it something you'd be too embarrassed to wear in public? SAY GOODBYE.

Currently, I'm 22 and I'm embarrassed to say that there are certain things I've had since I was 12 that somehow remain in my closet. 
This just won't cut it anymore...
via fanbuff.com
A logo t-shirt that I once thought was hilarious featuring a hot dog and a cupcake.
A pair of loose fitting jeans (eek).
A hoodie with either the words "I Love New York" or my high school logo.
My first pair of Converse.
T-shirts with names of places I've visited (keep those in the drawer).

Do they have sentimental value? Probably not. But, what if I decide to wear them one day? 

So every time you hesitate about giving something away, remember why you're so hesitant. Follow the five year rule. After all, clothing is just material and if it has no sentimental value or you bought it at Forever 21, you won't miss it much.

Love,
Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment