Tuesday, September 30, 2014

#FTSOF: Why Do You Tie Your Plaid Shirt Around Your Waist?


via www.stephaniesstyleblog.com
Back in the 90s, women rebelled against fashion norms and some would say it was one of the worst fashion decades of that century. It's also known as the "grunge" era. It was a time where combat boots were the shoe of choice (in summer, winter, fall, and spring), overalls were an option for full-grown adults, and bras were optional. Essentially, it encapsulated everything that fashion girls hate. Today, we bring back that former enemy and invite her to sit with us. The grunge craze began last year and took the fashion world by storm (and the storm has not yet subsided). As I scan the university hallways for grunge-inspired fashion, I can't help but notice the abundance of plaid.

It's fall. So, duh.

But, it's being worn around the waist.

When I was a pre-teen and my parents dressed me (lower those eyebrows, thanks), I tied my hoodie around my waist because it seemed like the practical thing to do when a room got hot. Where else are you going to put it if you don't want to carry it around all day? If you're a fashion girl, you probably wear it on your shoulders, a la Anna Wintour. You most likely don't even wear hoodies and plaid is not part of your vocabulary unless it's Mochino. However, if you align yourself with a grunge aesthetic, prepare to make knots with your flannel.

Now, I can't tell you why women began adopting this trend today because I don't even know why they did it in the 90s. Since it is associated with the grunge movement, I'm tempted to assume it was a form of rebellion.

You want me to wear this shirt properly? Well, I don't want to.

It was a conscious decision to do the opposite of what we were told and that included wearing our shirt wrong.

Fashion is all about exploring boundaries and breaking established rules of dress. One of those rules involves putting your arms in the sleeve holes. Who needs them?

If you're looking to try this trend, here are some tips:

1) IT HAS TO BE FLANNEL.
2) It looks best with ripped jeans.
3) Don't wear it to a job interview.
4) Don't over think it.
5) Do it For The Sake of Fashion.

Because why the hell not?

Ponder that,

xoxo,

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment