Thursday, August 28, 2014

Story of A Magazine Addict

via shop312.wordpress.com
Ever since I was a pre-teen, I've been devouring magazines like they were my birthday cake and it was my birthday every month. It started with J-14 and M Magazine (remember those, 90s kids?). I proceeded to purchase gossip tabloids (because who hasn't gone through that phase?). All I wanted to do was follow celebrity gossip and find out who was dating who and which hubby cheated on his hot wife. After a while, I grew sick of these false stories being told by journalists craving a good story in US Weekly and InTouch, because honestly, who the hell cares? At this time, my interest in fashion started to grow and suddenly, I found myself addicted to this genre of magazine.

Today, it's all about Elle, Harper's Bazaar, Vogue, FASHION, Flare, and InStyle. It's about those magazines I'll never get sick of. As soon as I spot them on the racks at my local drugstore, I can't resist the one with the prettiest cover. I yearn to turn those pages and discover the latest fashion news, the photoshoots, and the cover story.

So, ladies and gentlemen, I confess to my addiction with an open heart. I am fully aware that I am obsessed with magazines and my only means of self-control is someone I really hate gracing a cover. I keep my archives because frankly, isn't that what fashion is all about? Nostalgia? Reminiscing? Inspiration from past collections?

So, when my parents ask me why I can't let go of my magazines, I tell them just that. Every page is reminder of the rich history of the fashion industry. Perhaps I don't have access to 1893 Vogue, but my 2008 version is just as good (sort of). It's a memory of my own evolution as a fashion lover.

Back in my awkward teenage years, fashion was simply an afterthought. Today, I look at these old magazines with new eyes. I am no longer that girl who just flipped through the pages, casually eyeing the photographs. I'm the girl who analyses and nitpicks every element that goes into it because I can finally appreciate the art that is involved.

I know what you're thinking. Did I seriously waste my time reading this testimonial when I could've been on Style.com? Perhaps you did. And if so, maybe it'll make you realize that your magazine addiction is not the worst thing in the world. Everything in moderation.

Ponder That,

XOXO,

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment