Wednesday, November 26, 2014

On The Road To Becoming a Fashbot

I am in a state of crisis.

When I was growing up, we could not use the phone and internet at the same time. Today, phones are watches too and glasses know everything about you.

What in the world is going on?

With DVF's foray into techland and Tory Burch's entrance into high tech jewellery, fashion is on its way to becoming a full-on tech show. At this rate, five years from now, we won't be wearing jeans, but technopants that count our steps and handbags that transform into computers at the click of a button.

via fastcodesign.com
Fashion is entering the new world and of course, this is a natural progression for such a rapidly growing industry, but I can't help but resist a tech obsession that disfavours direct human connections. 

I know the classic argument. I've heard it before. What do you mean? Technology FACILITATES relationships! It brought on the social media boom and cell phones that allow us to communicate across the world.

But what happened to cell phone free conversations? They have disappeared, my friend. Only a select few will put their phone away mid-conversation to focus their attention on the person before them. 

But, I'm not talking about relationships. I'm talking about fashion. I'm talking about the explosion of wearable tech. I am asking you whether this is actually a good thing. Should fashion become technical? Will this tech boom improve the fashion landscape for consumers? Or are we all on the road to becoming robots, or rather, fashbots?

Maybe we should establish some ground rules to avoid this human to robot transformation.
Let's try to limit ourselves to one piece of tech per outfit. Let's exclude cell phones from this rule unless we're talking about an Apple watch. Let's avoid tech addiction by taking a day off every week. 

These are mere suggestions, but I'm inclined to follow them. I am not, by any means, a technophobe. I use a socially acceptable amount of tech in every day life. But then again, hasn't our socially acceptable threshold increased? Is it even possible to pinpoint the appropriate amount of technology one should use per day? Will this type of limitation even be possible in the future? Are we headed towards a world of red buttons and voice recognition? Or will technology stop and smell the flowers for a moment?

Ponder it,

XOXO,

Bella 

No comments:

Post a Comment