Thursday, May 21, 2015

When Did People Stop Being So Fancy?

Up until the early 20th century, women wore gowns and party dress to the most basic dinner party. Think Downton Abbey style. Today, jeans and sneakers are the norm on the streets. After all, who wants the discomfort of a constricting dress and sky high stilettos?

via pinterest

Actually, I do.

Sure, I consider myself to be a "feminist" (quotations merely because of the multiple definitions of the word). I am well aware that women were put in these clothes to restrict movement. However, due to the rise of feminism, we are currently faced with a choice. We can wear these dresses because we want to, not because we have to.

Wearing a pretty dress with a pair of high heels has become a sign of empowerment. We have finally appropriated our own sense of style and the days of men dictating dress have long gone.

We have designers like Stella McCartney, Phoebe Philo, and Isabel Marant to thank for the rise in women dressing women rather than men dressing women. As much as I love my Karl Lagerfeld and Marc Jacobs, I'm a strong advocate for women dressing other women. I also love the idea of dressing like men just because I feel like it. However, in the age of nostalgia, I can't help but wonder what it would be like if everyone were to attend their dinner parties in fluffy dresses and intricate updos. When we're making our own decisions, wouldn't it be fun to go back to those days with new found purpose?

Now, I'm not saying we should be uncomfortable. All I'm saying is that a little glamour and glitz every now and then wouldn't hurt. As the saying goes, "the world is your runway". Dress like you believe it.

Ponder it,

Bella

No comments:

Post a Comment